CHOLESTEROL: Fighting fat with fat!
This statement certainly seems utopian to you! In order to reduce the bad fats in our body, we must increase the intake of good fats.
First of all, let’s define cholesterol! Cholesterol is a substance found in the walls of cells all over the body! It is also important to know that cholesterol is essential to the production of many hormones and vitamins important to the human body such as Vitamin D!
Our goal: To maintain a healthy level of cholesterol in our body. Not too high; Not too low!
We often talk about good and bad cholesterol:
- Good cholesterol = HDL which allows the elimination of LDL
- Bad cholesterol: LDL
LDL, or bad cholesterol, penetrates the walls of the arteries. Because the human body is always looking for balance and the maintenance of normal blood flow, the walls of the arteries deform and contract, increasing the risk of heart attack, thrombosis and aneurysm.
HDL, or good cholesterol, ensures the elimination of LDL by removing LDL from the arteries and transporting them to the liver for elimination.
Hence the importance of maintaining an adequate HDL and LDL balance: more HDL and less LDL.
Here are some tips to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels:
- Increase the consumption of good fats in nuts (healthy portion of about 1/3 cup per day), oils (olive and macadam nut oil) and fish such as salmon, swordfish and trout.
- Increase daily fibre intake by eating more fruit, more raw vegetables, which have a higher fibre intake than cooked vegetables and whole grains
- Choose avocado oil, coconut, macadam nut or grape seed oil instead of butter, margarine or olive oil when cooking your food. Their heat degradation is lower at high temperatures.
- Add REIVA CHOLESTEROL to your daily diet